My baby is one. ONE. How is this already true? I feel like he was born YESTERDAY. I went back and read his birth story today and cried and wallowed in my nostalgia. I remember every last detail about the evening before and the morning he was born. The intense thunderstorm that cleared the roads for us to drive to the hospital, my water breaking as soon as I crawled into bed, feeling completely exhausted and attempting to “rest” but not being able to because I was SO anxious…but most importantly, meeting my boy. My beautiful, perfect, 7 lb. 15 oz. baby boy that I waited not just 9 months, but my entire life to meet. I cannot believe that it was a year ago that we became a family of four. A year ago, my sweet little boy came into this world and wiggled his way right into our hearts.
Brax is very busy these days. He is always on the move and learning new things. Here are his ONE YEAR updates…
- He is 22 lbs, 8 oz. (70th percentile) and 29.5 inches tall. (50th percentile)
- He has 8 teeth. He doesn’t use them as much for chewing food as much as biting his loved ones. He finds it hilarious. We don’t.
- He can stand independently for up to a minute…probably longer. It only happens when he is distracted and doesn’t realize he is doing it.
- Some of his favorite hobbies include playing catch, eating, yelling, and wrestling with his sister.
- He loves to clap his hands.
- He loves to dance.
- He hates naps (how did we get 2 children who hate sleep?)
- He is learning to talk more and more every day. He mainly says “mom” and “dad,” but he loves babbling, yelling and hearing his own noises at a very loud decibel!
- He loves touch and feel books, and even tries to touch the pages on non-touch and feel books.
- Some of his favorite foods include blueberry waffles and mac and cheese.
- He is learning what “no” means. You can see the little wheels turn in his head when we teach him when he shouldn’t do something. (Like eat dog food)
- He is super ticklish…especially his toes.
- He still loves bath time. As soon as we start the bath water, he books it to the bathroom and tries to climb in by himself.
- He loves chasing the dogs and trying to grab their tail and paws. Koda runs away, Addie just licks his face.
- Nobody can make him laugh as much as Kinsie can…they are the best of buddies and partners in crime!
To my sweet, one-year-old boy, Braxton…
I can’t believe you are one year old! We have all LOVED getting to know you throughout the last year. Every day, we learn more about you and fall in love with you even more. You are a crazy, loud, little ball of energy with an award-winning smile, making it impossible not to smile back. You haven’t let me have much quality sleep in the last year, and one day at home with you puts more steps on my Fitbit than if I ran the mini marathon…but I wouldn’t trade any of it for anything in the world. Your sister may pester you constantly, but she is your biggest fan. She loves having a little sidekick and putting on a show for you to make you smile. Your dad and I are obsessed with your sweet personality, and your precious giggle is our favorite sound in the world. We can’t wait to watch you continue to learn and grow into a little boy and see what amazing things you accomplish. I thank God every day for the amazing blessing that you are. I am so grateful to be your mom!
The older my son gets, the more obsessed with him I become. He is becoming such an awesome little boy. He is already so much fun to hang out with. He completely exhausts me because he is CONSTANTLY moving, but I chase him around with a smile on my face and a heart full of love. His sweet little smile not only melts the hearts of those who know and love him, but even strangers that see him when we are out and about. Everyone he comes in contact with can’t help but smile back at him. He has made some major developmental strides this month and he is reaching milestones much quicker than his big sister did. He is already a little dare devil…trying to crawl, climb, and stand anywhere he can…and if he falls, he rarely cries, but instead gets right back up and is at it again!
Our Braxy Boy’s 9 month updates:
- He is 18 lbs, 6 oz (25th percentile) and 28.5 inches long (75th percentile).
- He is a pro at pulling up. He wants to do it ALL THE TIME.
- He loves eating table food…especially mixed veggies.
- He loves to make raspberry noises while eating baby food…resulting in a baby food shower for me at every meal.
- He waves bye-bye (and it’s the most precious thing ever).
- He can shake his head no.
- He is obsessed with bath time with big sis.
- He is talking more and more.
- He is still a mama’s boy.
- His favorite things to play with are all the fake kitchen food and dishes (particularly the chicken leg and the carrot).
- He loves the “Hot Dog Song” on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.
- He loves to stand and climb on everything…everywhere…all the time.
A common view of my little mama’s boy…
The progression of sibling story time
Kinsie and Brax are still the best of buddies. She (usually) plays very well with him, but is still learning that if her toys on are the floor, they are free game for him. I love the way she talks to him and she LOVES making him laugh (as you’ll see in the following video)
Seriously though…I’m obsessed! Happy 9 months Braxy boy!
Our sweet boy is 4 months old! He is growing before our eyes and I completely fall in love with him more every day. He is such a happy little boy, and we all just can’t get enough of him. It’s true what they say about the special bond between a little boy and his mama. He completely has my heart! Of course that doesn’t mean there isn’t enough of my heart to share with my Kinsie Kay as well!
Brax at 4 months…
- He weighs 13 lbs. (10th percentile) and is 24.75 inches long (40th percentile).
- He can roll from his stomach to his back, and is close to being able to roll from his back to his stomach.
- He sleeps through the night (most of the time!)
- He is still quite a spitter…he goes through about 10 bibs and 5 outfits a day because he spits up all over everything.
- He has a crazy little bobble head. He never wants to rest his head, he wants to hold it up the best he can and look around at everything. He is getting more head control each day.
- He is SO happy and smiley. He has his fussy moments, but overall, he is as happy as can be!
- He has started to giggle out loud. It completely melts me.
- He loves watching Kinsie and thinks she is hilarious.
As you can see, we all are in love with this little boy!
Our boy Brax is 3 months old! He is changing so much right before our eyes and we love learning more about him every day. He is turning into such a sweet and happy little boy, and he brings so much joy to all of our lives!
Brax is now getting to spend more time with my mom, Ryan’s mom, and Ryan’s aunt because Mama had to go back to work last week. He is doing wonderful with the transition from being with me all the time to being watched by other people. He and I both need our snuggles together when I get home though. I am doing better with the transition than I thought I would too! I definitely miss my babies during the work day, but it is good for me to have a break and get a chance to miss them too.
Here are some updates on our boy…
- He almost weighs 12 lbs.
- He isn’t spitting up as consistently. He will have a couple days in a row where he doesn’t spit up much, then a day where he spits up EVERYTHING.
- He sleeps better with music playing.
- He loves lots of stimulation and doesn’t want to miss any of it.
- He is sleeping about 7-8 hour stretches at night.
- He loves to suck on his hands.
- He enjoyed his first swimming experience.
- He is on a good feeding and napping schedule.
- He is currently a mama’s boy. He loves staring at me and will sometimes cry when I leave the room.
- He is such a smiley little boy.
Our growing boy! Love him to pieces.
We are on to Month #2 for our boy Brax! He has made a lot of progress in the last month, and he is starting to develop his little personality. Kinsie is still in love with him and we are all pretty well acclimated to being a family of four.
Brax’s 2 Month Stats:
- He weights 10 lbs, 12 oz. (25th percentile) and is 23.75 inches long (80th percentile).
- His reflux is doing much better. He still spits up A LOT…but isn’t crying all day and night due to stomach pain anymore.
- He had his first social smile at 5 weeks old and now he smiles all the time!
- He loves to watch Kinsie play.
- He recognizes voices…especially mine, Ryan’s and Kinsie’s.
- It is still hit or miss on when he has good nights. He usually goes about 4-5 hours in between feedings at night, but sometimes he likes to stay awake for those 4 or 5 hours. Those nights are not fun.
- He loves attention. He is very happy if someone just sits and talks to him.
- He loves stroller rides.
- His favorite color is green according to Kinsie.
- He is starting to discover his voice by cooing all the time.
- He loves looking at lights and ceiling fans.
- He takes his best naps outside.
Kinsie “helping” take Brax’s pictures
They are pretty tight.
Happy 2 months my sweet boy!
Our baby boy is already one month old! While it still feels like we just brought him home from the hospital, it also feels like he’s always been with us. His presence in our lives has become our new normal, so much that I forget what our old normal was like.
Brax’s little body is still getting adjusted to the world. He’s been having a lot of issues with acid reflux which makes for one fussy and spitty baby and two tired parents. He’s been put on medication to help with this, and I’m adjusting my diet a bit too, so hopefully he’ll get some relief soon. Also because of his reflux, he makes snorting sounds all the time. Kinsie thinks his snorts are funny, and says that he sounds like a pig! She is still obsessed with him to the point that I have to tell her to give him some space! She especially loves holding him, kissing him, tickling him, bringing him toys, and helping give him baths.
Since summer weather has finally decided to show up, Brax has already been on several adventures. We go to my parents’ house often to swim, and if it’s not too hot outside, he likes to sit outside with us and watch his sister swim. He’s also already been to the lake a few times. He loved his first boat ride and watching us fish off the dock. I’m sure it won’t be long before Kinsie is teaching him how to fish!
Here is Brax at a glance at one month old:
- He currently weighs 8 lbs. 14 oz. (30th percentile)
- He loves sleeping curled up in a ball on his daddy’s chest.
- He has very strong legs and loves to kick them while I try to change his diaper. (Another future soccer player hopefully!)
- He has a very strong neck and great head control for his age.
- He can almost roll himself from his belly to his back.
- He loves his pacifier, but when he’s hungry, he swats it away like nobody’s business.
- He is very tolerant of his big sister being all over him and in his face all the time.
- He eats often, and spits up what seems like everything he ate.
- He snorts like a pig.
- He has lots of fun facial expressions…my personal favorite is his surprised face.
- Car rides relax him. He either falls asleep or sits calmly and looks out the window.
- He is not good at burping. Sometimes we’ll try to burp him for 30 minutes and get nothing from him. Sometimes when he does burp, he still spits up!
- He loves to be held.
- He is awake a lot more lately. (Kinsie LOVES when he’s awake!)
Happy one month, sweet boy! I can’t wait to see how you grow and change each month!
My little girl had her 2.5 birthday not too long ago! Yes, my family somewhat celebrates 1/2 birthdays. We don’t go all out, but we acknowledge the day and sometimes have a small treat and present. My mom always celebrated our 1/2 birthdays, so my sister and I have tried to keep up the tradition with our kids. Kinsie’s half birthday falls on the same day as her Papa Tim’s real birthday, so we usually try to do some kind of little celebration for the two. This year, we all got together at Aunt Megan’s and Uncle Tim’s new house and had dinner and ice cream cake. Kinsie had a BLAST chasing their pup Ali around, and getting to see some aunts, uncles, grandparents and cousins.
Whenever I do a development blog update on my girl every 1/2 year, I am amazed to look back and see how much has changed in the last 6 months. Her development has just exploded in every way. She is no longer a baby, and sometimes doesn’t even act like a toddler…but an actual little girl. She is spunky, sassy, stubborn, sweet and silly. She completely exhausts me, especially right now while I have little energy to start with, but I can’t even imagine my life without her sweet little smile!
Updates on Kinsie Kay at 2.5 years:
- Kinsie is officially out of the crib and sleeping in a toddler bed. She is doing great, other than falling out here and there (and not even waking up in the process)!
- She has been pacifier-free since last October.
- She is still potty training. The process is taking longer than I expected, but I know that she’s slowly making progress. She definitely KNOWS when she needs to go, she is just too stubborn sometimes to stop what she’s doing to go sit on the potty. She does great at home, but has a harder time other places where she is usually playing more or with other kids.
- She is in a major “mama’s girl” phase. This is unusual for her, because she’s usually very independent, and will happily go with anyone she feels comfortable with. She must sense the fact that the baby is coming soon, which makes me a little nervous for when he actually gets here. She still loves her daddy time, and loves playing with and climbing all over him when he’s home!
- She has pretty much given up naps. The only time she’ll nap now is if she rides in the car in the late afternoon, then she passes out.
- She has an unbelievable imagination. I love watching her when she plays by herself… she comes up with the most creative games and dialogue between her toys!
- She speaks in full sentences that are (usually) grammatically correct.
- She can count up to 20.
- She knows all of the main colors and shapes.
- We are trying to teach her the individual letters of the alphabet. She knows some of them, but usually she doesn’t have the attention span to sit long enough to actually learn them. Just lately she has had more interest in letters, asking what letter a word starts with, or asking for a word that starts with a specific letter.
- Favorite colors right now: green and pink
- Favorite animal: hippopotamus
- Favorite foods: pickles, yogurt, and any kind of “snacks” (just like Uncle Ry Ry)
- Favorite movies: The Good Dinosaur, The Land Before Time, Lilo and Stitch
- Favorite song: The Olaf “Summer” song
- Favorite books: Biscuit the dog books, “Gallop,” and “Waddle” by Rufus Butler Seder, and anything that incorporates Spanish
- Her two biggest obsessions are Olaf and dinosaurs.
- Currently in gymnastics class, and will start up soccer again this weekend.
- She is officially signed up for preschool starting in the fall.
- She loves “tattoos.” She is always wanting them on her hands and arms, and if we gave her as many as she wanted, she would have tattoo sleeves.
- Other things she enjoys: Stamps, play-dough, playing outside, jumping, playing with her cousins, climbing on daddy, reading books
This girl brings us more joy than I ever thought was possible. I can’t even begin to fathom the added joy that will come when our little boy gets here in May. I pray that Kinsie adjusts well and will be the best big sister ever!