And just like that…my little boy is 18 months old. He entered our lives a year and a half ago and changed them forever in the best way. He completely lights up all of our lives and he, and his sister of course, are the best little gifts God ever gave us.
Our little guy has grown up SO much since he turned a year old. He is walking, talking, dancing, even sassing. I love watching him change every day and watching him learn more about the world around him. Kinsie is still totally in love with her little brother and loves teaching him everything she knows. He has such a fun and spunky little personality that is so contagious.
Here are some stats about our Brax Man at 18 months old…
- He is 26 lbs, 13 oz. (63rd percentile) and 32 inches tall (34th percentile).
- He is obsessed with reading. Maybe even more than Kinsie if that’s possible. He will bring us book after book after book, then plop his little booty down right in our lap to listen to the book. He especially loves Sesame Street books.
- He is getting very verbal and is learning new words every day. Some of his first words included ball, book, Batman, and dog. He shortens most words to just one syllable…like “Mickey” becomes “Mick,” and apple becomes “app.” Some of my favorites of his words are banana (nana), and shoes (shh).
- He still loves playing with balls. He will spot a ball in any room, on any page of a book, or on any show.
- When we name a body part, he can point to it on his body. His belly is his favorite!
- He can name several animal sounds. His favorite animal sounds are elephants, cows, monkeys and pigs.
- He absolutely loves Mickey Mouse. On TV, in person, in books, in stuffed animals…he loves any form of Mickey!
- He is great at making messes, but loves to help clean up his messes.
- He watches EVERYTHING Kinsie does and wants to do it too.
- His favorite animals are elephants and monkeys. He also LOVES dogs.
- His favorite foods are bananas, applesauce, and pretty much anything with ketchup.
- He loves to snack throughout the day.
- He is a major mama’s boy, but still adores his daddy.
- He is very determined about what he wants and doesn’t want, and will make sure we know it.
This kid is so awesome. I can’t wait to keep watching him grow and learn! I can’t believe he’ll be two in 6 months!
My beautiful, crazy, spunky, sweet and sassy girl is four years old today! I’ve become closer with her over the past few months since I’ve spent so much time with her, and every day I discover more about her and how amazing of a little girl she is. She is so smart and loves to learn. She loves to read, and even when one of us can’t read to her at the moment, she’ll either read what she had already memorized from that book, or just make it up. She loves to use her imagination, and is teaching Brax to love it too. She could talk all day…and often does. When she gets home from school, she will tell me every detail and every dialogue of her entire day. Then when Ryan gets home from work, she will go through the whole story with him. I love discovering the way her mind works and seeing her little personality blossom more and more each day. She has become my little sidekick and my helper in our new life in Arkansas. Brax is her best friend and he wants to do everything she does. Even though she can be very rough with her brother, she is very protective of him and would do anything for him. She challenges me every day and makes me a stronger person and a better mom. Her sense of adventure forces me out of my comfort zone. She made me a mom, and I will always be grateful to her for that.
Kinsie has changed and matured so much throughout the last year. Here are some updated stats on my four year old girl…
- She has always been a bit verbally advanced, and continues to be so. She talks like an adult. I often forget how young she is when we have conversations.
- She has a special relationship with both Ryan and I. She will have spurts of being a “mommy’s girl” or a “daddy’s girl,” but overall, she doesn’t discriminate.
- She’s a total outdoors girl. She would probably sleep outside if she could. I have a hard time getting her back inside even when she has sweat dripping down her face and mosquito bites all over her legs.
- Her favorite animals are hippos and dolphins.
- Her favorite color is still pink.
- Her favorite TV show is Paw Patrol.
- She loves everything Disney. She has always loved Mickey and his crew, but recently we’ve been watching all the Disney classics together. Right now some of her faves include Dumbo, Beauty and the Beast and Toy Story.
- She loves to learn new things and thrives on positive reinforcement. However, she is very hard on herself (just like her mother). She expects to do things perfectly when trying them for the first time and gets frustrated with herself when she can’t.
- She can spell various words such as Kinsie, Brax, zoo, dog and cat.
- She can add small amounts together.
- She’s getting pretty good at drawing. You can actually tell what she is trying to draw.
- She wants to be a teacher and a doctor when she grows up.
- She still loves soccer and gymnastics. She is playing soccer in a program in our town, and we plan to enroll her in a gymnastics class in the winter.
- She loves meeting new friends, but is horrible at remembering their names.
- She loves school. She participates, listens very well, and is a great helper. Her teacher said she is always happy and bouncy!
- She has been my saving grace throughout the move. She has stayed positive and open minded about all the changes. Even though she misses our families, she has handled the transition so well and has loved the opportunity to explore a new place!
Happy 4th birthday, my sweet girl. The world is a better, brighter, and more exciting place with you in it!
My baby is one. ONE. How is this already true? I feel like he was born YESTERDAY. I went back and read his birth story today and cried and wallowed in my nostalgia. I remember every last detail about the evening before and the morning he was born. The intense thunderstorm that cleared the roads for us to drive to the hospital, my water breaking as soon as I crawled into bed, feeling completely exhausted and attempting to “rest” but not being able to because I was SO anxious…but most importantly, meeting my boy. My beautiful, perfect, 7 lb. 15 oz. baby boy that I waited not just 9 months, but my entire life to meet. I cannot believe that it was a year ago that we became a family of four. A year ago, my sweet little boy came into this world and wiggled his way right into our hearts.
Brax is very busy these days. He is always on the move and learning new things. Here are his ONE YEAR updates…
- He is 22 lbs, 8 oz. (70th percentile) and 29.5 inches tall. (50th percentile)
- He has 8 teeth. He doesn’t use them as much for chewing food as much as biting his loved ones. He finds it hilarious. We don’t.
- He can stand independently for up to a minute…probably longer. It only happens when he is distracted and doesn’t realize he is doing it.
- Some of his favorite hobbies include playing catch, eating, yelling, and wrestling with his sister.
- He loves to clap his hands.
- He loves to dance.
- He hates naps (how did we get 2 children who hate sleep?)
- He is learning to talk more and more every day. He mainly says “mom” and “dad,” but he loves babbling, yelling and hearing his own noises at a very loud decibel!
- He loves touch and feel books, and even tries to touch the pages on non-touch and feel books.
- Some of his favorite foods include blueberry waffles and mac and cheese.
- He is learning what “no” means. You can see the little wheels turn in his head when we teach him when he shouldn’t do something. (Like eat dog food)
- He is super ticklish…especially his toes.
- He still loves bath time. As soon as we start the bath water, he books it to the bathroom and tries to climb in by himself.
- He loves chasing the dogs and trying to grab their tail and paws. Koda runs away, Addie just licks his face.
- Nobody can make him laugh as much as Kinsie can…they are the best of buddies and partners in crime!
To my sweet, one-year-old boy, Braxton…
I can’t believe you are one year old! We have all LOVED getting to know you throughout the last year. Every day, we learn more about you and fall in love with you even more. You are a crazy, loud, little ball of energy with an award-winning smile, making it impossible not to smile back. You haven’t let me have much quality sleep in the last year, and one day at home with you puts more steps on my Fitbit than if I ran the mini marathon…but I wouldn’t trade any of it for anything in the world. Your sister may pester you constantly, but she is your biggest fan. She loves having a little sidekick and putting on a show for you to make you smile. Your dad and I are obsessed with your sweet personality, and your precious giggle is our favorite sound in the world. We can’t wait to watch you continue to learn and grow into a little boy and see what amazing things you accomplish. I thank God every day for the amazing blessing that you are. I am so grateful to be your mom!
How is my little boy almost one? I know I sound so cliche right now but it is going so fast! I feel like he was a newborn yesterday…yet I don’t remember what life was like before he was born. He has wiggled his way perfectly into our little family and adds the perfect touch to us. He is so stinking cute and happy and he melts my heart every single day. I wish I could attach a permanent GoPro camera to him so I could record everything he does, because everything he does is so cute! He has brought so much joy to our family and I am so grateful to God for letting this incredible little boy be mine.
Here is an update on our Braxy boy at 11 months…
- He is done with baby food. He eats just table food now. He is an eating MACHINE. He loves food. Any food. All food. We have yet to find a food that he doesn’t like. He tends to like meat and grains the most. Some of his favorites include avocados, Cheerios, and hot dogs.
- He can throw a ball. Playing catch is his favorite activity!
- He has 6 teeth.
- He waves ALL the time. It is the CUTEST thing EVER. He waves to anyone and everyone!
- He is a Daddy’s boy lately. He still loves Mama, but he gravitates more toward Daddy and always wants him to hold him.
- He loves to try to bite people. He thinks it is hilarious.
- He can say Dada and Mama…and we THINK he recognizes us with those words.
- He still thinks Kinsie is hilarious. If she laughs, he laughs. She tackles and squeezes him all the time and usually he loves it.
- He doesn’t understand the word “no” yet…we are working on it.
- Although he doesn’t know what “no” means, he always shakes his head no!
- He can stand by himself for a few seconds.
- We call him “Stitch” (from the movie Lilo and Stitch) because all he wants to do is destroy everything!
- He LOVES to be outside.
Kinsie loves entertaining her brother!
Happy 11 months, Brax! Next update you will be ONE!
How did this happen? It feels like she JUST turned three…then suddenly I blinked and she is halfway to FOUR! We have noticed a huge difference in her lately…she is so grown up! All of the sudden she isn’t a toddler anymore, but a little girl. Every day, we continue to be blown away by our daughter. She is such an amazing little girl and she is SO much fun to be around. She has a tender, sweet, gentle side, yet she is spunky, sassy and crazy. I love every part of her and I love getting to see her change and grow each day.
Here is a glimpse of my girl at three and a half…
- She LOVES to learn. She can recognize all of her numbers and letters, and loves learning how to write them.
- She can spell and write her name.
- She can do very simple addition.
- She LOVES to read. We read a ridiculous amount of books each day, and her teachers at school say that all she does at school is read. She memorizes a lot of her favorite books, so then she can “read” them to Brax.
- She is currently playing soccer and doing a gymnastics class.
- Favorite animal: hippos
- Favorite color: pink
- Favorite movies: Moana and Trolls
- Favorite books: Dr. Seuss books
- Favorite food: protein bars and pickles
- Her favorite people to hang out with are her cousins and her brother.
Happy half birthday, my beautiful girl!
Holy cow…my little boy is going to be a year old in only 2 months!! My goodness though…he is such an awesome kid. He never stops moving, he is constantly getting into things that he’s not supposed to, he exhausts me beyond explanation, but he is absolutely the BEST thing that has ever happened to us.
Here is the breakdown of our Braxy boy at 10 months old…
- His eyes are starting to turn brown(ish).
- He can walk by himself with his walking toy.
- He has 4 new teeth!
- He is an eating machine. He LOVES table food…scrambled eggs, pears, crackers, waffles…you name it, he loves it.
- He is starting to enjoy being read to, rather than just trying to escape or eat the book.
- He HATES being contained. While in his high chair or car seat, he tries to bust out like the Hulk.
- He is starting to use a sippy cup.
- His spitting up is continuing to improve, and he is officially off of his acid reflux medication…yay!
- He just switched to a convertible car seat.
- He loves standing at the front door and greeting everyone as they come in.
- His favorite things to play with right now are coasters and the magnet letters on the fridge.
Kinsie continues to be tested as Brax becomes bigger and more mobile. He always tries to grab whatever she is playing with, and he loves to get a handful of her hair! She is still learning how to treat (and not treat) her brother…and some days are better than others (being stuck in the house all day certainly doesn’t help!). Regardless, Kinsie is still one of Brax’s favorite people! He still thinks she is hilarious, and she still loves entertaining him and loving on him every chance she gets!
Ok my baby…you can slow down on growing any day now!
The older my son gets, the more obsessed with him I become. He is becoming such an awesome little boy. He is already so much fun to hang out with. He completely exhausts me because he is CONSTANTLY moving, but I chase him around with a smile on my face and a heart full of love. His sweet little smile not only melts the hearts of those who know and love him, but even strangers that see him when we are out and about. Everyone he comes in contact with can’t help but smile back at him. He has made some major developmental strides this month and he is reaching milestones much quicker than his big sister did. He is already a little dare devil…trying to crawl, climb, and stand anywhere he can…and if he falls, he rarely cries, but instead gets right back up and is at it again!
Our Braxy Boy’s 9 month updates:
- He is 18 lbs, 6 oz (25th percentile) and 28.5 inches long (75th percentile).
- He is a pro at pulling up. He wants to do it ALL THE TIME.
- He loves eating table food…especially mixed veggies.
- He loves to make raspberry noises while eating baby food…resulting in a baby food shower for me at every meal.
- He waves bye-bye (and it’s the most precious thing ever).
- He can shake his head no.
- He is obsessed with bath time with big sis.
- He is talking more and more.
- He is still a mama’s boy.
- His favorite things to play with are all the fake kitchen food and dishes (particularly the chicken leg and the carrot).
- He loves the “Hot Dog Song” on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.
- He loves to stand and climb on everything…everywhere…all the time.
A common view of my little mama’s boy…
The progression of sibling story time
Kinsie and Brax are still the best of buddies. She (usually) plays very well with him, but is still learning that if her toys on are the floor, they are free game for him. I love the way she talks to him and she LOVES making him laugh (as you’ll see in the following video)
Seriously though…I’m obsessed! Happy 9 months Braxy boy!